1. Give three reasons why metadata services are important for digital libraries or collection.
- For each reason given, use a specific example or context to support your assertion, and discuss the importance of metadata services in each case.
- Also create a row heading for reasons and a column heading of the examples – fill in the corresponding table cells.
2. What types of metadata services are used for what purposes?
- Create a table to list the types of metadata services in the row heading and list the purposes in the column heading -- fill in the types and purposes in the corresponding table cells.
3. What are the required and optional description fields for a metadata registry record?
- Follow the examples of the DCMI Metadata Registry (http://dcmi.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/dcregistry/) and create two records, each for an element or term from your metadata element set (created from group exercise in Chapter 3).
- Each record should include a table display and an RDF/XML record that is linked to the table display.
- Exam any one of the metadata schema or ontology registered in LOV (Linked Open Vocabularies) http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov
- Read the article: Requirements for vocabulary preservation and governance.
4. What methods are used in building metadata repositories and what standards are involved in this process?
- Example: National Science Digital Library
5. How do metadata services facilitate information retrieval?
- Use a table to list the ways that metadata services facilitate information retrieval and the technical requirements involved in the process.
- As with Exercise 1, create a row heading of the ways to facilitate and a column heading of the technical requirements – fill in the corresponding table cells.